The Friends of Hemingfield Colliery, led by Directors Steve, Glen, Christine and Ian invite you to join us on some or all of the following:
Local and Social History
– Sharing the stories of local people and family connections to the site.
Site clearance and conservation
– help clear the land of vegetation that has built up over many years.
– understanding the site, its buildings and remains and learning some techniques.
New ideas, new insights – Get creative
-The Friends are keen to hear from anyone who has creative ideas about the site, its landscape, environment, and finding new possibilities creatively to work on, with or inspired by the colliery, whether art, ecology, science, education or otherwise.
Fundraising and awareness work
– Identifying and attracting support to protect, conserve, repair and develop the heritage buildings, machinery and archaeology and finding new ways of engaging the local and wider interest communities with the stories and potential of the colliery.
- Supporting site insurance, tools and volunteer support are annual running costs to the Friends allowing us to maintain free access on open days and special events.
Please send any enquiries to our email (see below) or via the Friends’ social media accounts.
Post: Friends of Hemingfield Colliery, c/o 6 Pit Row, Hemingfield, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S73 0NX
At this stage the site is not permanently open to the general public, so we recommend that visits are made during open days when the Friends of Hemingfield Colliery will be available to introduce themselves, explain the site, and outline our plans.
Get in touch