The Friends of Hemingfield Colliery hope that you enjoy and help us to develop the content on this site, but the richness of the (world) wide web means we simply could not do justice to mining, people, local history and community life without providing some links to great sites on the wider internet, sources of information and further research. This page’s information will continue to grow over time, so please feel free to send suggested links to us.
Great Place Wentworth and Elsecar Heritage Lottery and Arts Council England project working with Barnsley and Rotherham Councils to develop cultural and economic activities around Elsecar and Wentworth.
Elsecar Heritage Action Zone Historic England designated Elsecar a HAZ from 2017-2020 which brings the national resources and expertise of HE to bear on the heritage of the area and seek to address economic development opportunities.
- Barnsley Main Heritage Group Near neighbours of Hemingfield and custodians of the Barnsley Main Colliery site.
- Thurcroft Main Colliery and Village website A useful site for local and mining history associated with Thurcroft
- The Sheffield Area Geology Trust (SAGT) Promoting conservation, research and education on earth sciences, geology, landscape and heritage in and around the South Yorkshire and the wider Sheffield City Region of England.
Museums and Archives
Industrial and Mining
- NCMME – National Coal Mining Museum for England
- NEIMME – The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers
- IOM3 – Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
Submit link suggestions