Oaks Colliery Disaster 1866-2016
December 2016 will mark 150 years since the Oaks Disaster in which over 360 miners died.
A series of historical research and commemorative projects will be taking place as we approach the date:
- The Dearne Valley Landscape Partnership is working with Barnsley Archives and Local Studies to research the names of those killed and to try and compile a complete biographical list. Everyone is invited to contribute. Contact Stephen Miller on 01226 773110 or email@example.com
- Meanwhile a voluntary group, has been established by a group of ex miners to press the case for a fitting memorial to the dead. Details will be available at the NUM Office’s Heritage Open Days from Thus 10th – Sat 12th September 2015.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- See Barnsley Chronicle article (18/8/15 by Mike Cotton)
Useful Sources on the Oaks Colliery
Many fulltext sources of contemporary material are available
- Embleton, T.W. ‘Notes on the Oaks Colliery Explosion, on the 12th December 1866, and on the subsequent explosions’, in Transactions – North of England Institution of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, Vol.XXV, 1875-1876
- Jeffcock, Parkin ‘On the Coal or Iron Mining of South Yorkshire’, in Proceedings – Institution of Mechanical Engineers. 1862
- Jeffcock, John Thomas Parkin Jeffcock, civil and mining engineer. A memoir by his brother. London: Bemrose and Lothian, 1867.
- Tomlinson, John Stories and sketches relating to Yorkshire. London, Simpkin, Marshall, & co.; 1868