1852 – Disaster strikes at Low Elsecar Colliery
At 1.30 pm on 22nd December 1852 an explosion underground at Hemingfield Colliery (also known as Low Elsecar Colliery) claimed 10 lives and injured a further 12 miners.
An inquest followed, led by Coroner Thomas Badger, and the Mines Inspector for Yorkshire, Charles Morton admonished the management and the men, later writing:
“Here was a concurrence of two reckless acts of disobedience; first, the leaving open of a door; and second, the removal of the top of a safety-lamp; and the two combined led to a catastrophe which destroyed ten persons and injured twelve others.”
Reports of Messrs. Dunn, Dickinson, Morton, Williams, Wynne, and Mackworth, inspectors of coal mines, to Her Majesty’s Secretary of State. 1855, p.44
It was noted that the effects would have been significantly worse had the ventilation of the workings not been well devised by Earl Fitzwilliam’s agent Benjamin Biram. Printed rules were thereafter required for the safety of the miners.
The list of casualties included:
Died immediately in the explosion:
- Benjamin Fletcher, 28, from Wombwell
- Joseph Stenton, 32, from Jump
- William Dickinson, 29, from Kitroyd, Jump
- George Mallender, 37, from Jump
- Jonathan Walker, 47, from Stubbin (Elsecar)
- Thomas Hurst, 33, from Elsecar
- Henry Addey, 14, from Elsecar
- John Cooper, 17, from Jump
Died from injuries:
- Joseph Rawson, 31, from Hoyland
- Thomas Hutchinson, 26, from Broomhill
The Friends of Hemingfield Colliery produced a small booklet commemorating the disaster, including details of the victims and their families, as well as explanations of the conditions in Victorian coal mines and working for the Earls Fitzwilliam.
The booklet, priced £2, is available from the Friends at site Open Days and at local events including the Mates of Milton Gala and Barnsley Heritage days. Alternatively contact the Friends (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details.